Saturday, 14 May 2011

Forbidden Room Extract


The complexities of reality are such that the human mind cannot comprehend the infinite distance between the real and imagined.

There are few of us who have access to that terrifying plain called reality. Most of us never see it, drifting along on an unconscious wave of pink fluff that carries us from cradle to grave. Sometimes the veil slips and the true nature of everything is revealed. Day by day, we find new and wonderful ways to hide the truth from ourselves, a magic man who can walk on water, a prophet who ascends to heaven and bald fat man who sits under a leaf glimpsing the nature of the cosmos. None of them come close to the true chaos that lurks just on the edge of vision.

We have though.

Spend a second in our universe and you shall see the true horrific nature of life as we know it, complete and utter chaos that wraps around, tugging at our clothes, desperately attempting to rip us naked, tear us to shreds, but our pink clouds keep them at bay, without them we would collapse.

This didn’t exist before, till I walked into this room, but I don’t remember how I got here. There was nothing till I woke here fully clothed and sentient. Are my memories real? Am I real? I remember a room full of candles, lights shining from every surface, illuminating a marble fireplace, blackened and matt a brief gleam moaning from the worn iron. A woman stands before me, naked in the yellow light, copper skin glistening as I trace the outline of her back whilst I draw her close, chasing her scent around my head. Another image of her crying, reaching out to me pleading with her fingers stretched tight clawing at the air that separates us. I think she’s important, but I don’t remember, just complete emptiness when I feel her black eyes search mine. Yet another, on the top deck of a bus leaning back with my head against the window. Weak light filters through as I watch the street outside pass without moving, buildings meld into each other signs drip their paint to the floor all form is lost as people stare up empty sockets mocking me, slowly my vision fills till I can’t see for the salt. You again, the sun is setting, shrouding you in golden light, giving birth to your beauty second by second, Hermes ready with knife, but in your eyes nothing but love as you lean in to kiss me and fill my world with burnished bronze. Morning bed sheets and tears, wrapped in white, hair framing your perfection as water scores ravines across you cheeks, the acid of your pain etching patterns across my heart whilst I pull awa, through the door, loss turning my tongue to ashes in my mouth as I struggle to take it back. Sitting, on a blood red chair, bottle in one hand, naked covered in shame, bathing in humiliation as you walk through the door and gather me in your arms, soothing away the demons with your soft touch and gentle kisses, but still they gather at the gates waiting for a chink to force through the crowbar.

Once more you save me.

Once more you break the glass.

Memories fading now as I move closer to the source, the scourge, the barbed wire that tears skin. Sing me love, swear your love, cherish my love. Words beat my ears, ravage my brain, confusion reigns as I battle against the dark will that pervades my body.

Sing me love,

Swear your love,

Cherish my love,

Give me love.

No comments:

Post a Comment